The global Covid-19 pandemic hit gyms and health clubs harder than most, with 2020 and 2021 seeing falling membership numbers, spiralling costs, and a shortage of staff for key roles.
It’s easy to look back over the past 18 months, and the challenges that you’ve faced, and worry that 2022 might just be more of the same.
It doesn’t have to be. Make 2022 a year where you take steps to make sure you thrive.
There’s lots to be positive about in 2022
You’ll have seen it already. Cancelled members are returning. New members are joining. And a worldwide health crisis has seen health and fitness become more important than ever.
52% of people say their health is more important now than before the pandemic.*
*Research conducted by Decision Architects on behalf of Xplor Technologies in Spring 2021
There’s an opportunity here for gyms and health clubs to grow their operations sustainably in the coming year, to lay the foundations for long-term success. If you want to take this opportunity, you need to be prepared.
You need to take steps now to make sure you’re ahead of the competition on January 1st.
12 simple steps to take before year end
Your competitors aren’t standing still, and neither should you. Take these 12 simple steps before December 31st in order to set the stage for your future success
- Review the last 12 to 36 months performance
- Set targets for 2022
- Reassess your opening times and prices
- Plan and promote your January timetable
- Rejuvenate your interiors
- Put in place professional cleaning equipment
- Prevent long queues in the January rush with automated access control
- Streamline processes to free up staff
- Use Christmas seasonality to your advantage
- Make sure you always get paid
- Embrace online fitness and hybrid training
- Look for growth opportunities
Article by Xplor Gym
First published: 15 October 2021
Last updated: 31 October 2023